It's a busy month but let's make a few things clear:
1) Here in Florida this is a huge election. We've got three key state amendments to vote on: voting FOR Amendment One to protect our ecosystems, voting FOR Amendment Two to legalize medical marijuana, voting AGAINST Amendment Three to stop governors from packing the state courts even years before there's any vacancies.
2) We've also got key elections in the state executive branch, especially Attorney General (vote FOR George Sheldon) and Governor (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD VOTE FOR CHARLIE CRIST! Get Rick "No Ethics" Scott out of there!)
3) We need massive voter turnout in EVERY part of the state to overcome the hideous distortions of gerrymandering that has rigged our electoral system to favor the cheaters.
4) I just want to repeat this: GET RICK "MEDICARE FRAUD" SCOTT OUT OF THE GOVERNOR'S OFFICE BEFORE HE CAUSES MORE DAMAGE.
5) That all said, the deadline to register to vote in Florida is October 6th, this Tuesday. If you have changed your address since you last registered, or you need to make sure you are registered, get a form filled out - most county and city offices such as your local library should have forms - and sent it before this Tuesday! It is vital and important we get as many people registered as possible.
6) And then it is VERY VITAL AND IMPORTANT FOR PEOPLE TO VOTE.
We WILL have Early Election Balloting available. Early voting should run from October 20th to November 1st. AND voting is available on Saturdays and Sunday of those weeks. Early voting can happen in any designated place in your residing county.
The set Election Day is always the first Tuesday of November: this year it's November 4th. Voting starts at 7:00 AM in Florida and are set to close at 7:00 PM (FACT: if you are in line to vote before 7:00 PM occurs, the precinct must remain open to allow you the right to vote. PLEASE STAY IN LINE WHEN YOU GET THERE). For the general election, you MUST go to the exact precinct where you live (your Voter ID card MUST give you the street address where that precinct is).
If you know you are going to be out of town during the Early election and General election days, you CAN sign up for a mail-in Absentee ballot. Follow the Supervisor of Elections link to your county office to register for the form. It's gotta be done before October 6th.
The ballot will likely be multiple pages. Polk County's Sample Ballot is 2 pages.
Every election counts. Every vote matters. If you have questions about the candidates running for each office, the local newspapers - Tampa Bay Times, Tampa Trib, Miami Herald, Orlando Sentinel, (Jacksonville) Times-Union, so many others - will have website information on each, and the League of Women Voters has a guide for the statewide offices and candidates.
If you want a general rule of thumb to go by: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT VOTE REPUBLICAN. The party as a whole has been in charge of this state for 15-20 years, and they have made a goddamn mess of things.
And let's get the DAMN VOTE OUT. I am sick of seeing a state with 11.5 million registered voters show up with a measly 4-5 million (under 50 percent! damn us all!).
And to hell with the polling. One week it's one thing, next week it's another. JUST VOTE FOR CRIST, PEOPLE. RICK SCOTT IS A CROOK.
Keep in touch. I will have more to rage on as the month progresses.
Just remember, YOUR VOTE IS YOUR POWER.