Saturday, July 20, 2019

Anniversary: Fifty Years Ago, We Achieved Humanity's Greatest Scientific Moment.

What it might have been like in July of 1969, watching as three men reached a faraway moon, and two of them landed there to prove humanity had the knowledge and the means to reach beyond our earthly shores.

From the Apollo 11 In Realtime website this morning

The surface of the earth is the shore of the cosmic ocean
Recently we've waded a little way out
And the water seems inviting... - Carl Sagan

UPDATE: CBS News is running a livestream. I'm posting this 20 minutes before the landing itself.


UPDATE: "Tranquility Base here. The Eagle Has Landed."



I think I've asked Mom and Dad once what it was like for them watching this all happen in real time - my twin and I weren't born until 10 months later - but I can't recall now what they said. I think they were traveling in Europe at the time (Dad was doing a Mediterranean cruise as a Navy pilot then). Update again: Mom messaged back that she was staying with her parents in Birmingham at the time studying for her Masters, my older brother was two-ish so he probably was too young to notice, but she and my grandparents watched it all from the telly. She didn't join up with Dad in the Mediterranean until August.

Just to mention: The library where I work is doing a space-themed Summer Reading program, and part of it has been the dedication to the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing. One thing I helped work on is a Lego display of the Lunar Lander:


"That's One Small Step for a Lego... One... Giant Leap for Legokind!"


3 comments:

dinthebeast said...

I was eight when this happened, and this reminded me of the wonder in Walter Cronkite's voice that I can still sort of remember after fifty years and all of the life that has gone down in all of that time.

-Doug in Oakland

Paul W said...

Wow, Doug. Any thought about what it was like?

dinthebeast said...

I was a huge rocket nerd and my folks banished me to the dining room with the spare TV to keep me from interrupting their viewing and I was like in heaven. The TV was smaller than the one in the living room, but I got to sit right in front of it instead of across the room and I felt like it was special for me.

-Doug in Oakland