- We're talking about a Republican Party whose base economic platform is mass deregulation of everything, including safety regulations, education guidelines, health standards. Even though there's been consistent evidence that mass deregulation doesn't help and in fact hurts most Americans. As well as evidence that deregulation of education is rife with fraud and cheating.
- We're talking about a Republican Party whose base government budget platform is tax cuts for corporations and spending cuts for Medicare, welfare, food stamps, and Social Security. Even though there's been consistent evidence that tax cuts don't work and that cutting social aid doesn't force Americans to "shape up".
- We're talking about a Republican Party whose base foreign policy platform is bomb anyone with a hijab and mock the French for surrendering to Germany one too many times. And to not say much of anything about a torture regime that violated a ton of American laws and treaties.
- We're talking about a Republican Party whose immigration policy is publicly "voluntary deportations" where we're expecting migrant workers to happily turn about and drive back to Central America where the jobs are bad and the streets are (more) violent, and where the unspoken policy is to deport everyone who's not Anglo-Saxon via two out of four grandparents.
- We're talking about a Republican Party whose religious platform is to denounce Sharia law while insisting public schools teach Creationism and faith-based history, both of which imposes one Christian church's beliefs on everyone else (and not every Christian wants that crap taught).
- We're talking about a Republican Party that would punish women over private decisions on birth control and abortion, yet claim the national health care risks caused by anti-vaccination families (pushed by fraudulent/dubious science) is a "choice".
- We're talking about a Republican Party whose governance methods don't involve deal-making via compromise or shared sacrifices, but through domination, obstruction, and refusal even consider valid arguments against their positions.
It may look like I'm being flippant, but I'm not. That IS what the modern Republican Party stands for. And this is a crusade for them: the Far Right is utterly convinced - through a combination of arrogance, ignorance, and fear - that their way, their ideology is the one pure truth. Over which they lie, fake, and cheat to defend.
It doesn't matter the temperament - Active or Passive, Positive or Negative - of whoever gets tabbed for the 2016 nomination. A majority of Republican leaders buy into each part of that list - admittedly more on one topic than another - with no qualms about any of it. Both because their voting base of Far Right wingnuts insist on it, and because their financial billionaire backers insist on it.
And the danger gets worse. Because we're stuck with a two-party electoral system, with a 50-50 chance the winner in 2016 can be the Republican nominee. Even with a platform as Negative as what the Republicans are pushing, they can still trick - there will be no other word to describe it - enough voters into backing their candidate. God help us.