- Do NOT travel to Washington DC for the 4th of July celebrations. Just saying, traffic is still a bitch in the Beltway, and the Metro rail system has been breaking down lately. Getting in and out is a nightmare anyway (I can attest to personal experience when I traveled there in 2015). Just having trump dump himself all over the festivities is making it worse. Although if nobody shows up - like the way nobody showed up for his inaugural - the traffic and Metro won't be bad after all. Just pretend it will be and use that as an excuse if the Gestapo ask you later why you weren't there.
- Do NOT tune in to PBS' A Capitol Fourth television program. Previous years they had musical performances, celebrity speakers, and fireworks. This year, they're having plane fly-bys - a holdover from trump's desire for a military parade - and not entirely sure what else other than trump's ugly face grinning to himself that he's got an audience he does not deserve. I hope to God the previously-schedule performers - especially the ones I like - have enough sense to call out sick or something.
- Do NOT go to any local rally flying trump banners because they're also gonna be flying Confederate Battle Flags and chanting death songs about libruls and Antifa, and that's not what the 4th of July - our nation's freedom, our nation's unity - should be about.
What should you DO?
- Stay home with family and friends who plan on avoiding any political partisan crap, period.
- Do some of your own fireworks, in safe places and following all proper handling with fire and explosives.
- Watch the Macy's Fourth celebration which covers New York City, broadcasting from NBC at 8 PM EDT.
- Listen to the Hamilton soundtrack, or watch the classic 1776 movie on DVD or if you stay up late it'll be on the TMC channel at 10:15 PM EDT.
That should make for a more pleasant 4th of July experience for all involved.
Unless Karen shows up with her potato salad. In which case all bets are off.
(Update 7/1): Cadet Bone Spurs is asking for tanks - AGAIN - to roll down the streets for him this 4th. Never mind how the weight of those things will cause potholes and could break some of the bridges surrounding Washington DC. And he seems to have forgotten - most draft dodgers wouldn't care to know - that the WWII era Sherman tanks are no longer in commission.
Jesus Christ. This is going to be a disaster or a massacre or both.