Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Off Topic: Starting a Death Metal/Punk/Dance/Techno Cover Band

Okay, so, during the cleanup from Hurricane Irma, news got out of a Catholic nun in full uniform grabbing a chainsaw and helping clear out the fallen trees around her Catholic school.

Sister Margaret Ann
So it hit me: Chainsaw Nun. BEST NAME FOR A ROCK BAND EVER.

I created a band logo:

And made some half-serious comments on Facebook about what songs the band would cover, like "Communion Breakdown" "Benedict and the Jets" and "Hells Bells" (well, straight covers would work too).

But I dunno. It's in my head and won't go away. Part of me wants to grab a bass guitar, learn the basics, and form a real band to at least try making one crazy album. Just to say I did.

It'd be fun.

Thing is, it'll cost money (even filing a trademark cost about $275 minimum). So if I want to pursue this, I'm going to start up a GoFundMe page. But that's a serious step. No turning back if I go that far.

Should I? Should I start a GoFundMe page, start up Chainsaw Nun as a real act (need to find a lead guitarist who can make the guitar rev like a chainsaw, plus a drummer and a singer)?

Please leave a comment, Yes or No.

2 comments:

dinthebeast said...

I don't know if you should or shouldn't but I will point you in the direction of Jeph Jacques, who draws the web comic "Questionable Content" who has crowdfunded several albums at this point. I don't know whether they are any good or not, but just wanted you to know it has been done.
He started with a band name from the story in his web comic, but recently ditched it in favor of just something he likes.

-Doug in Oakland

Paul W said...

I haven't gotten enough votes of encouragement - or discouragement - to know if I should do this. It's a big step to take. This is something I gotta ask my Peeps.