I apologize for the long absence: I had a long vacation last week going to Las Vegas, with the intent of visiting the Grand Canyon. I had never been to Vegas, although it's a spot my dad enjoyed visiting as a Navy pilot making delivery runs from East to West Coast. I don't travel as much as I'd like, either. Living on a librarian's salary doesn't allow for a lot of trips I'd like to take. Even saving up for this trip has crimped my current budget.
It did not help that on the day after my trip to the Grand Canyon, I tried to travel around Vegas to do some birthday shopping for my twin brother... and in the process injured my left leg bad enough that I'm walking on crutches and seeing my local clinic about possible ligament tears at my knee. Ow ow ow.
While there's a ton of political madness to keep up with, at least I got to see the majestic views of the west side of the Grand Canyon. Using a Canon Rebel T6 camera, I was able to get some pics:
| I wonder if you can see the shape... |
| Yup, there's a sleeping dog on the left. |
The west side is on tribal land: the Hualapai people oversee and manage the tour sites, including a Skywalk viewpoint that is pretty scary for anyone - like me - afraid of heights.
| You have to pay extra to go on the Skywalk. I was not about to pay extra to scare myself. |
| Just remember this is the WEST side of the canyon. There's a North (currently closed) and a South. Spread over HUNDREDS of miles. |
| Even the staff parking lot has an epic view. |
| I tried to get an interior picture, but it was too dark. |
| I'm told that's the Colorado River down there. |
| There's a bat cave down there. (No, not THAT one) Guano was harvested for fertilizer. That's part of the old lift system they used to get to the cave. |
| I dunno if you can see it but I tried to get a picture of the tour helicopters that fly through the canyon. |
I have a number of videos that I recorded to my smartphone - and a lot more photos of Las Vegas on there as well - that I will need to upload through YouTube to share properly on the blog.
In the meantime, I hope you all have good vacations planned for the summer, and for the LOVE OF GOD DO NOT INJURE YOURSELVES. Hurts like hell still, ow ow ow...
6 comments:
I got to see the Grand Canyon in 1972 when I was 11. We stopped on our way to Oklahoma to visit family. As I recall, my sister and I also begged until my dad took us to see the meteor crater...
-Doug in Sugar Pine
Well I need links at Crooks & Liars, so welcome back - and write something! And I would not have gone on that Skywalk thing either - crushing fear of heights. Went on that Chicago thing that later cracked, and that was enough.
ahhhh, family trips...
As soon as I can pop my left knee back into pl (popping noises) Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I would blog more often, but I need to find motivation if the topic angers me enough (which is not a good feeling to have while writing, alas). Having never figured out how to monetize this blog, it's not like I'm getting paid to do this.
Having blogged during W1 and W2 I am running low on outrage. I understand completely. How many “NO ONE COULD HAVE PREDICTED!!1!” posts can you write? If he falls over and his diaper explodes? Now that’s news.
Post a Comment