Monday, January 21, 2019

Rev. Martin Luther King Jr Day 2019 (w/ Updates)

I will be part of the City of Bartow's float for today's Martin Luther King Jr parade. I'll report back how it went.

Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education. - The Rev.

Update: Just got back, will upload photos as soon as possible.

Newer Update: Adding some photos with some context! For anybody who's never been in Bartow, here you go!

At the starting point near Main and Broadway


City of Bartow's official float!

High school marching band. I been there when I was in 9th Grade.
I sympathize.

When the drummers warmed up I suddenly found myself
stepping in place and rolling my feet out of habit.


Keep an eye on this house.


Gotta zoom in...

LB Brown House! A key location of African American and Floridian history.

At this point it was hard to keep up with photos because we entered the neighborhoods where families and kids were lined up for the candy handouts our float was giving. Which is kinda not what Martin Luther King Jr. stood for, other than his civil rights focus on poverty and against hunger.

As for celebrating Reverend King's efforts, the city hosted an afternoon gathering at Carver Recreational Center.

As for honoring Reverend King's fight for civil rights and a better America, well that fight keeps happening every day. Get to work.

No comments: