Saturday, December 07, 2019

Personal Status Report: Digging Into the Membrane

Well. This has been something on my mind for some time.

Literally.

I went to see about clearing out my sinuses back in June, and when I got a CAT Scan they found a lump in the middle of my brain.

Further MRI and exams point to a tumor on my Pituitary gland, which shockingly enough affects about one in five people. Most people live their lives not even aware of it. I hadn't, didn't have any of the obvious signs for it - severe sufferers will have frontal headaches behind the eyes - and in some respects didn't even think to look for it. My blood tests over the years didn't show much deviance in the hormones managed by the gland, although I've been a chronic depressive for years I dunno if this tumor caused all of that.

The thing is, the tumor pushes upward from the spot in the skull where the gland rests, which just happens to be right below the point where the optic nerves criss-cross. So that as the tumor grows, eventually it will push apart or even engulf those nerves, causing vision loss. I already have loss of outer edge (peripheral) vision based on the eye exams they gave me two months ago.

So the neurosurgeon and ophthalmologist are both saying I need the surgery.

No idea yet how much it's going to cost. All I know right now about the surgery is that they gotta go through the nose, scrape out the tumor (they know where not to scoop the Pituitary, here's hoping), and patch up the hole in my head so I don't leak out spinal fluids. It involves a stay in the hospital for at least two days, have to be off work for at least a week maybe two...

The horrifying thing is, of course, they'll be digging in my brain. As someone who prides himself on above-average intelligence, I dread what effects this will have on mah head, brah.

The risks are minimal, but my parents are telling me I'm way overdue for a Will just in case things don't go well.

I'll keep blogging until the day of surgery. We'll see how it goes from there.

Good luck and IO SATURNALIA, everybody.

3 comments:

dinthebeast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dinthebeast said...

Good luck. If you have a good surgeon, all will be well. My mother was misdiagnosed repeatedly by a horrible neurosurgeon who did an unnecessary surgery on the vertebra in her neck, botched the surgery, requiring it to be redone by someone capable later.
The second surgery was successful and restored her to function, but meanwhile the real problem, a brain tumor, had progressed past operability and killed her six weeks after it was discovered.
Had she gone to the competent doctor in the first place, she might still be with us.

-Doug in Oakland

Unknown said...

Sending positive vibes, Paul. I'm of the mind that your best days are ahead of you.