Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Hit Me Baby With The Vaccine One More Time (w/ Update)

So today I got my second Moderna vaccine for the COVID-19 virus.

Ahhh, the ambiance of a retail store's pharmacy corner

I know what you're thinking:
I NEED TO SHAVE MY ARMS. /cries

This is the one that's supposed to wipe you out, create nausea, sweats, fever, general malaise, an unshakeable ennui, a propensity to write free verse poetry in Italian, and a possible rash.

It's been three hours. I was promised super powers. Where's my heat vision dammit.

(Update 4/24): As a follow-up, the following Thursday about two hours into work I got lightheaded, but not dizzy. Fatigued would be better. I knew this would be a possible side-effect so I tried to manage myself for the rest of the day, but by the afternoon my co-workers were worried I wouldn't even be able to drive home. Since I argued my balance was okay enough to walk, we compromised and a co-worker who lived near me agreed to follow me home to make sure I didn't crash or anything.

At home, I had a small dinner - leftover mac and cheese with a meat sandwich and sliced pears - and then napped for about two hours. I thought I was feeling better but just as I was about to get into bed I got hit with a severe case of the shivers. I was trembling so much it actually made it hard for me to move at all. It took serious effort of will to get my CPAP hooked up and then flopping into bed pulling every blanket I had over me to get warmer. It took about an hour of lying there shivering like mad before I felt any warmth at all.

Ugh.

Still no superpowers, either.

2 comments:

Denny in Ohio said...

The first Moderna jab caused effects the next day, almost 24 hours later. It was the feeling one gets when you realize that the illness has gone systemic and there's no turning back. It didn't escalate and then suddenly completely disappeared in three hours. The second shot gave me a feeling of general lethargy the next day.

dinthebeast said...

The state website says that the CVS and Rite-Aid pharmacies in Oakhurst will be administering the shots, but didn't say when, exactly.
I figure on getting my first dose next week, if they're up and running by then.

-Doug in Sugar Pine