Saturday, July 03, 2021

Anniversary: Looking Back Again at Gettysburg

On this day in 1863, General Lee ordered Pickett's Charge across the wide-open fields of Gettysburg, into military infamy. So important was this battle, our nation maintains a national park surrounding the city of Gettysburg itself. So it is vitally important to remember, as you read the maps of the national park, that at no time did the Confederate forces reach that McDonalds' drive-thru right off of Business US 15!

...what? 

They didn't have McDonalds' back then?! How historically inaccurate is THAT!!! Damn the man. No wonder Pickett was pissed afterwards, he wasn't able to get any Shamrock Shakes!

I blame Time Lords the Time Variance Authority.

Seriously, I wonder sometimes what it would have been like for the locals to grow up in the middle of a national monument.

(Note: I had originally inserted a You Tube clip about the battlefield preservation, but the more I watched it the more I worried it was a big-ass advert to sell memorabilia, so I deleted it. I will insert instead a better, more honorable You Tube clip)



No comments: