Thursday, August 15, 2019

Woodstock at 50: For a Moment In History, We Were In Heaven Man.

One of my historical interests has been the 1960s, a decade of upheaval and change that ended just before I was born. Looking back at all the events and culture that took place - the Beatles, JFK (blown away, what else do I have to say?), the Berlin Wall, Vietnam, Civil Rights, Reverend King, Star Trek, Doctor Who, the rise and fall of Hammer Horror, the changing mores of cinema and television...

At the top of the pile sits Woodstock, what would have been a relatively minor blip in history as a music and arts festival somewhere in the hills of New York state, something akin to other rock festivals of the era - Newport Jazz, Monterey Pop in 1967, Isle of Wight in the UK -  meant to get a bunch of big names and rising stars to entertain about 50,000 or so and make a little money for the organizers.

Instead, Woodstock got overwhelmed by a bizarre series of mistakes and misunderstandings which led to hundreds of thousands showing up thinking the concert was free/open to the public, creating logistical breakdowns and nearly triggering a National Guard crackdown before calmer heads prevailed.

To me, the way the whole disaster unfolded and the way the people at the event handled themselves and turned it from debacle to destiny remains one of the most uplifting moments in our history. Confronted with food shortages, bad traffic, bad drugs, worse weather, missing or unavailable performers, shoddy sound systems, and more mud than a pig sty, there should have been every reason for 500,000 people to panic and riot.

But they did not. Most of them got chill, hung out with friends, played in the mud, listened to the music that did make it onstage, and behaved themselves. Volunteers popped up everywhere to keep things working, especially at the medical tents where kids tripping on the bad acid were watched over until they cleared their heads. The local town of Bethel for the most part donated food and supplies, and the visiting hippies for the most part were polite back to them. The cops didn't go out of their way to arrest anybody. Fights were few, deaths were accidental.

There are arguments in philosophy about human behavior, if people as individuals or as groups are evil or good. Rousseau argued for the latter backing a belief in the "blank slate" nature of humanity, that removed of external pressures most people will not act maliciously towards others: That when given an opportunity on their own terms to be good, people will act good.

Woodstock is a good example. Confronted with a difficult situation most people made the best of what was happening to them, and when confronted with a choice to do well to others decided to help those others.

And when they were at their best, the people at Woodstock made it all beautiful. Just look at the photographs (from Rolling Stone) with links to a photo gallery here:

...As Rolling Stone‘s first chief photographer, Baron Wolman heavily documented the festival, witnessing legendary musical moments like Santana’s psychedelic “Soul Sacrifice” and Jefferson Airplane’s Grace Slick belting “Somebody to Love” in her iconic silk-fringed dress. Wolman’s main focus, however, was the heart of the festival: the attendees. Whether they were camping out in tents or bathing in the nude with their children in tow, Wolman captured the essence of what it felt like to really be there...
"...I never worried about my safety. I had a great time. The people in the front were starving; they ran out of food. Backstage, they had a barbecue for the performers. I didn’t realize that or I would’ve gone back and eaten, too. I would just eat whatever I could find. I was so wired and so excited and it was such an adrenaline rush because I’d never seen anything like this. I call it the gathering of the tribes, where only good things were happening. I always tell people it was a disaster waiting to happen that didn’t. That was one of the miracles of Woodstock: It could have been horrible, and it wasn’t. We all really believed, 'Wow, we can all get along! And if we can get along, maybe the world can get along.'
The military and the counterculture were at each other’s throats. It was 1969, there was still a draft, the Vietnam War was going on, everybody hated everybody. But the military came with their Medevac units and helicopters to help take away the people who had medical problems. And I thought, man, that’s the way it’s supposed to be. We’re all in the same country, why are we hating each other? The military and the counterculture, for one brief weekend, were getting along in the way it should be. But you know…the dream of Woodstock petered out pretty quickly..."

Sad but true. For all the forced attempts to recreate another Woodstock - Stones at Altamont, Woodstock '99 - none of them had the genuine intent towards the blank slate of human behavior Rousseau argued for. The Woodstock Nation, as Abbie Hoffman once proclaimed, ended up being a brief moment in time.

But an unforgettable moment. We had the benefits of filmmakers being there, album recordings made, photographs by the museum-load. It does not hurt to look back with awareness of what was a magical time and place (well, save for the 100 tons of trash the hippies failed to pick up) and dream of the possibility of finding that moment again...

It's why I think often of the nuns flashing the peace sign.



Why I think of the attendees playing in the mud like they were six years old again (not finding a decent photo or YouTube clip at the moment, sorry).

Why I smile at the knowledge that the young couple huddled with each other on the soundtrack album cover are married and still together. With grandkids.



Why I honor and salute Mr. Taggart, the Port-o-San Maintenance guy, keeping things clean for 500,000 people.



Why I still sit in awe at the intensity of Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" and the drum solo:



Why I wake up some mornings to Jimi Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner":



"We must be in heaven, man!"



P.S. No, my parents weren't at Woodstock. Not EVERYBODY was at Woodstock, okay? Just 500,000 of you, that's the max and you know it. Everybody says they were at Woodstock when they weren't, knock it off. Sheesh.

2 comments:

dinthebeast said...

I was eight, and my brother was eighteen, and the argument between him and my dad was loud and long and ended with my brother just leaving and not coming back for months.
Which is why, I assume, that when in 1977, my dad found out that Led Zeppelin was going to be playing in the Bay Area (we lived in Eureka, 300 miles north of there) he came to my best friend and I with an offer: We were to prep his deck for painting, a three or four day job, and he would buy us concert tickets and plane tickets and cough up some spending money in case of emergencies.
That's how I saw the last show Led Zeppelin ever played in the US, and visited the Bay Area for the first time.
The plan wasn't perfect, as my dad didn't know that BART was on strike, so Mark and I had to find our way from the SF airport to the Oakland Colosseum and back on our own.
I'll never forget walking into the crowd there and realizing there were about twice the population of the place I lived in there.
When I think of Mark and I, 16 year old white boys from Eureka, sitting on the bench on East 14th st. waiting for the AC Transit bus with a couple hundred dollars in my pocket, I get a feeling like what you described Woodstock as: a horrible tragedy that just never happened.
And really, having returned to Oakland in '84 and lived in all of the poor areas where a musician with a day job could afford rent, my whole stay here has had a similar feeling, and permanently colored my view of the way marginalized people live their lives.

-Doug in Oakland

Paul W said...

Well,

You got to see Zepp.
You survived San Francisco and Oaktown.
You lived a moment of your own, hopefully good memories all the way through.