Monday, November 14, 2022

About That Royal Palm Literary Award Thing 2022 Edition

I kind of realize I didn't dedicate a full article here about the Florida Writers Association Royal Palm Literary Awards given out back in late October. I was a Finalist with two articles - "Hark! A Ranking of Nirvana Albums" and "Irrational" - and so I went to the awards banquet with guarded hopes.

"Irrational" won the Silver (second place) trophy!



Florida Writers Association then sent me a set of award stickers I can use to stick to the book(s) that had won!


Except what had won was an online blog article. There's nothing I can stick the stickers to (unless I can sticker every computer monitor out there).

I mean, I do have books I can put stickers to - my story anthology collection Last of the Grapefruit Wars, any of the Strangely Funny anthologies I'm in, the nonfiction essays of Surviving the Age of Obstruction... except those aren't the things that won. It'd feel wrong to sticker those.

Also, the books I self-published through the POD service - Grapefruit Wars and Surviving the Age - are years old, and just not selling (as a librarian, I've confronted the sad fact I have to weed out my Surviving the Age book because no one's checked it out since 2018). I've been thinking of cancelling those books altogether, and redoing what I had published into something else.

I *could* gather more of this blog's articles together to print in a book, but I'd need a unifying theme to bind them together, rather than a loose collection of random thoughts. It'd be nice to include the "Irrational" article with it, to justify adding the stickers.

I am serious asking the nine people I've got following this blog, the few who actually pay attention: Any suggestions on what articles to collect and print?

2 comments:

dinthebeast said...

I thought "Irrational" would do well. Perhaps you could collect your writing on Florida politics, which I always find to be clear and informative. Of course I would, I'm Californian and don't know shit about Florida, but still...

-Doug in Sugar Pine

Batocchio said...

Congratulations!