Thursday, February 02, 2023

I Survived a Bruce Springsteen Concert

Good Lord.

The Boss never took a fucking break.

I was just standing there for most of the concert and *I* was the one who ended up with a leg cramp. Or was that a pulled muscle? Either way, I was fatigued.

I went deaf in my left ear. I woke up this morning with it still ringing. Anybody got a cure for that?

It was a goddamn religious experience.

It was the opening night of the E Street Band's tour, starting in my backyard of TAMPA FLORIDA HOME OF THE TOM BRADY LED BUCCANEERS, FIRE THEM CANNONS (oh God, time for another rebuild /cries).

So, in the interests of preserving history for future generations, I documented much of the night.

Outside the hockey arena (TAMPA IS A HOCKEY TOWN DAMMIT)
with my SIL Karen. She's not A Karen, she's sweet and polite
and never demands to see a manager.

This was the crowd getting in to the show. 
Traffic actually more backed up than I-4!

Brother Phil with Karen, in line at the security check-in

I'm usually not a fan of orange, but of the tour t-shirts for sale
this had IMHO the best look, the best style.
I need to wear Friday at work to prove I was here.

Settling in for the show

HOLY SHEET, IT'S SPRINGSTEEN.
BRRRRUUUUUUUUCCCCCEEE.




A cleaner picture of this would work
as cover art for a live album.
...Is it just me, or should EVERY Bruce Springsteen concert
be released as a live album...?


Do they make smartphones with better than 4x zoom?!
Asking for a friend who'll wear earmuffs to the next concert.

During the encore part of the concert.
Actually, there was no encore, the E Street Band just kept playing.
Like I said earlier, there were no breaks. The only time the band left the stage
was when Bruce did his only solo performance of the night with
"Last Man Standing."

Hell, I need to share you the playlist for the Tampa show. Not as many songs from Bruce's latest albums - Western Stars, Letter to You, Only the Strong Survive - but a lot of early years stuff, especially from Darkness On the Edge of Town, which is a personal favorite of mine. (EDIT: A quick review of the songlist revealed Letter to You album DID get prominent play, my bad. I need to go re-listen to that CD). When Max starting off the opening cymbal riff for "Candy's Room," I squeed and hopped up and down. Maybe that's where I got the pulled muscle/cramp.

SET LIST

21 SONGS

1 NO SURRENDER

2 GHOSTS

3 PROVE IT ALL NIGHT

4 LETTER TO YOU

5 THE PROMISED LAND

6 OUT IN THE STREET

7 CANDY’S ROOM

8 KITTY’S BACK

9 BRILLIANT DISGUISE

10 NIGHTSHIFT

11 DON’T PLAY THAT SONG

12 THE E STREET SHUFFLE

13 JOHNNY 99

14 LAST MAN STANDING

15 HOUSE OF A THOUSAND GUITARS

16 BACKSTREETS

17 BECAUSE THE NIGHT

18 SHE’S THE ONE

19 WRECKING BALL

20 THE RISING

21 BADLANDS

ENCORE

7 SONGS

1 BURNIN’ TRAIN

2 BORN TO RUN

3 ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT)

4 GLORY DAYS

5 DANCING IN THE DARK

6 TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT

7 I’LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS


I am now moved to write up a HARK! review of Springsteen albums later this month. Once my ears stop ringing.

...Seriously, that performance should be released as a live album. It'll give me a chance to lower the volume on the headphones when I re-listen to AAAAH NOPE STILL TOO LOUD ACH MY EARS...

Update: I uploaded a video from the opening moments of the concert, when the band emerged to play "No Surrender." And... well... I am not happy with the video quality. :( I need a smartphone with a better zoom and camera. Sigh. Anyway, ONE TWO THREE FOUR:



4 comments:

dinthebeast said...

The first time I saw Frank Zappa was the loudest sound of any kind I have ever experienced.
So the second time I saw him I brought earplugs, just in case. I didn't need them, but I happened to notice the middle aged woman sitting next to me looking uncomfortable during the louder sections. Between songs I offered her my earplugs. At first I think she thought they were drugs (they do come in a little plastic baggie) but as soon as she realized what they were, she took them from me and seemed to have a better time afterward...

-Doug in Sugar Pine

Paul said...

I have problems with noisy rooms to begin with. Nightclubs, bars, loud cramped gatherings, I may be high-spectrum autism. But I have had a ringing in my left ear months ago. It's that Bruce damn it all made it worse... sigh

Denny in Ohio said...

Fine setlist but I have finally reached the age where "Thunder Road" is not played. Ouch. Two thumbs up for "Prove It All Night" and "BackStreets."

Paul W said...

Alas, Denny. Bruce played "Thunder Road" in Atlanta on the next tour stop.

From my understanding, bands like to mix up each tour stop with a handful of different songs: either because they know one or two songs are insanely popular at that stop, or to at least mix it up so that people won't accuse of them of being too predictable.