Thursday, April 21, 2016

Whoa. WHOA. PRINCE DIED?!?!?!

So I was helping a library patron with his laptop syncing to iPod when the patron's phone blinked.

News flash: Prince died.

Just to let you know, yes that cat Prince could indeed ball (was an above-average high school b-baller).

JESUS.

I ain't joking about this right now, but 2016 (actually at some point around December 2015 it really became noticeable) is turning out to be one of the worst years for celebrity deaths since 2009. I may be biased, it may be a thing about my Generation (Xers) being more attuned to the media and being on the Internet moreso that earlier generations, but this sh-t is upsetting man.

I mean, here's the list off the top of my head, now with Prince and Chyna (if you followed wrestling in 1990s like some of my co-workers in Broward County Libraries, you'd know who that was) today.

Lemmy
David Bowie
Alan Rickman
George Martin (Beatles producer)
Natalie Cole
Angus Scrimm (Phantasm movies)
Dan Haggarty (Grizzly Adams)
Glenn Frey (Eagles)
ABE VIGODA! I mean, seriously God, when Abe died that was the literal f-cking end of a meme.
Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane)
George Kennedy
Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire)
Larry Drake (I will always remember him as Durant from Darkman)

And those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head (I had to be reminded of Frey on Twitter awhile ago).

I grew up to all these people, as actors in my favorite movies, as musicians for my favorite songs.

I don't want to think it has to do with getting old. I can't. It just doesn't seem right, does it.

3 comments:

dinthebeast said...

Yeah, and Chris Squire from Yes last year. Damn, hero worship and mortality do not mix well.

-Doug in Oakland

Pinku-Sensei said...

Also Keith Emerson from Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Paul W said...

I've been giving this more thought: the deaths of our beloved celebrities is happening during a period of great social and political anxiety. We're in an election year where EVERYTHING is on the line, everything's at risk, and so the loss of favored artists and musicians is hitting us in our emotions in ways that makes it more painful.